This sauce is for you if you like broccoli as much as I do! It is one of my favorite vegetables. I remember my mom telling me they are like little “trees” when I was little I made my pesto in the food processor. Unlike normal pesto this contains NO basil – the basil was replaced by the broccoli – hence the name Broccoli Pesto Sauce!
What you need:
- 1/2 pound of broccoli
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or put through a garlic press
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 5 Tbs heavy cream (heavy whipping cream liquid)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (I used pre-shredded)
What you do:
- Chop broccoli into bite-sized pieces. I used mostly florets and just a little of the good stem.
- Steam your broccoli for 5 to 6 minutes. You can use a steamer or do so in the microwave, whatever works. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter and olive oil together in a pot or skillet.
- Add onion and saute until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli, salt, and pepper and cook for a few more minutes. Turn down heat to low and add cream.
- Now, transfer the entire pan of the yummy broccoli mixture into a food processor or blender and chop until combined.
- Add broccoli pesto to some pasta and top with the Parmesan, enjoy!