I found this recipe originally from the July 2012 Rachel Ray Magazine. It was easy to make and fast. A must try. I am sure you could use any pasta you wanted, but I liked the texture and shape of the called for ditalini pasta. The flavor was good, you definitely taste the tomato which makes sense since the name of the recipe is Tomato Pasta Soup.
What you need:
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 cup minced carrot
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 15-oz can tomato puree (I used Huntz brand found at Wal-Mart)
- 2 cups ditalini pasta (the little ones, they look like a straw cut into little pieces)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded/graded Parmesan cheese (to top)
What you do:
- In a large pot, cook veggies in the olive oil until tender. (about 10 or so minutes)
- Add vegetable broth and tomato puree and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook to al dente.
- Season with salt and paper.
- Serve and sprinkle with cheese.