As my husband and I go on this journey of his lactose-intolerance, I find myself looking for recipes that don’t use butter or milk. This bread is more of a dessert. It has a yummy glaze that goes on top!
What you need:
- 3 cups flour, all-purpose
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- zest from 3 large lemons (about 3 TBS)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 and 1/2 cups plain yogurt (I used lowfat)
- The lemon juice from the 3 lemons you zested ( 1/3 cup ) (for the glaze)
- 5 TBS Sugar (for the glaze)
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 8 1/2-inch by 4 1/2 inch pans with cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl combine the sugar and lemon zest. Combine the two with your fingers. This took about a minute and the mixture should be moist and smell like lemons.
- Stir in the eggs, vanilla, oil, applesauce, and yogurt.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until just combined. You will have a mixture that is a bit lumpy.
- Pour the batter into the pre-greased pans until about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake bread for about 50 minutes or until the top of the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. When bread is done, cool on a cooling rack warm, not hot.
While bread is baking you can prepare the glaze. Combine the lemon juice and sugar for the glaze in a small saucepan and let it come to a boil.
Take off the heat. When bread is done baking, pour warm glaze over the top of the bread.