Broccoli & Cheddar Pasta
There are times when our refrigerator is bare and our cabinets are empty. These are days when we usually order Jimmy Johns sandwiches (they deliver and they are delicious)
Last week I had a day like this – I controlled the urge for jimmy johns and tried to come up with something to eat from the little that we had. I came up with this broccoli and cheddar pasta. It really is just pasta and broccoli with milk based sauce and cheese on top. Turned out pretty yummy so I thought I would share.
What you need:
- Dried Pasta (I used 8 oz of dried bow-tie, but any kind would work)
- 2 cups broccoli florets. (I used fresh, but frozen would work too)
- 2 TBS butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/8 tsp salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used medium cheddar)
- 1 tsp flour
What you do:
- In a large pot bring enough water to a boil to cook your pasta. Add the pasta and the broccoli florets at the same time to the boiling water. Boil until pasta is cooked to your liking and the broccoli is soft.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan melt the better. Add the flour and stir for about a minute.
- Add the milk and continually stir until combined.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta and broccoli and return to pot.
- Add the sauce and add cheddar cheese on top. Enjoy!
This recipe cooked about 4 servings. We ate two servings for dinner and then saved some of the cooked pasta and broccoli and ate it with alfredo sauce the next day.