Broccoli and White Cheddar Mac & Cheese
I found this recipe on pinterest and it is yummy!! I can’t wait to make it again. I found the white cheddar cheese in the deli section of wal-mart it was the “Vermont” brand.
What you need:
- 3 cups frozen baby broccoli florets
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni (or however much you are going to need)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 4 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 -2 ounces pepper jack cheese, depending on the spice you want, grated
( I used the pre-shredded pepper jack and it was fine)
- salt to taste
What you do:
- Microwave broccoli florets in a large, microwave safe bowl according to package instructions until tender (usually 4-5 minutes). Drain off any water and set aside.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add elbow macaroni. Boil according to directions until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk to form a paste (roux). Cook 1-2 minutes to eliminate raw flour taste. Slowly pour in milk, whisking briskly to remove lumps. Continue cooking over medium heat, whisking constantly, until milk mixture thickens. Remove from heat and whisk in shredded cheese. Add salt to taste.
- Add drained macaroni back to pot. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni, add broccoli, and stir to combine.