The Best Pot Roast Ever!

The Best Pot Roast Ever!
This pot roast is so easy and yummy! It often graces our Sunday table. Made in a CrockPot.

What you need:
  • 2-5 pound pot roast (any kind)
  • 1 envelope ranch dressing (dried)
  • 1 envelope Italian dressing
  • 1 envelope brown gravy mix
  • Potatoes and Carrots
  • 1 to 1-1/2 cup water

What you do:

1.  If you wanted carrots and potatoes in your CrockPot, cut them to your liking and put in the bottom of your CrockPot.
  2. Put Roast on top of vegatables.
  3. Sprinkle all 3 spice envelopes on top.
  4. Add the water.
  5. Cook on LOW for 6-10 hours until tender and veggies cooked through.

• Deborah says:

Can this be cooked in a dutch oven, if so what temp.

• Anonymous says:

I made this and the meat turned out wonderful! But I’m not sure what happened with the veggies – they were still rock hard and seemed like they hadn’t cooked at all. I had cooked it for the full 8 hours, I layered the veggies both underneath and on top of the meat, and everything was covered in the juices. The meat was fully cooked, but the veggies were like if I had only just put them in there. Great recipe though!

• Anonymous says:

Just wondering does the roast have to be thawed.

• Anonymous says:

Does the roast have to be thawed? What happens if it is partly frozen?

• Anonymous says:

To those who complained of tough meat, I have made hundreds of roasts in the crockpot and offer the following observations:

The crockpot you use can make a difference. I have an old seventies vertical style (with round lid) and then received an oval type (for Christmas) that’s more horizontal. The oval type works far better as there is enough room. If you pack your pot, you will get poor results. The older, vertical type is perfectly acceptable for other dishes, or smaller roasts.

Use Chuck Roast. Some fat is required to get adequate moistness. Do trim excess fat, though, or remove rendered fat from drippings by pouring all juices into a 4-cup measure and allowing to settle. Clear liquid on top is fat; remove it.

There is no need to brown the meat first. Try it both ways and see if you can detect the difference.

There is no need to add beef flavor, unless this is the thickening agent. A crocked chuck roast will have LOTS of beef flavor.

Thicken juices with a flour-water mixture in a pot on the stove. Add some flour-water mixture while heating; when it boils, that is as thick as it will get (for the amount added). Usually works out to about 1/3 cup. (I make all gravies this way.)

Eight hours on low (no lifting lid) in a proper crockpot will do it. Go too long and it gets dry.

• Anonymous says:

I wish I would have commented a few days ago. I am using this recipe for the first time tomorrow and for company! Anyway, I am not able to find Italian Dressing in an envelope in our town. A friend at work suggested I use Italian seasoning so that’s what I am going to do. Maybe a tablespoon? Someone else suggested Italian dressing from a bottle. Any thoughts?